Public policies and measures for the energy transition

About the activity

The energy transition is the process of transforming the current energy sector, still dependent on fossil fuels, into a clean one with zero carbon emissions, in order to limit the environmental impact of human activities. In Romania, 66% of total greenhouse gas emissions come from the energy sector.

Through the European Green Deal, Romania committed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 43.9% by 2030 compared to 2005, to reach a share of 30.7% of renewable energy in gross final consumption and to decrease final energy consumption by 40.4%. In addition, Romania has pledged, together with all the other Member States of the European Union, to achieve climate neutrality by 2050, i.e. not to emit more greenhouse gases than nature can absorb.

To make these goals a reality, countries will have to give up coal-based energy by 2030 and fossil gas-based energy by 2040. This will only be possible if fossil fuel energy sources are replaced in a timely manner with renewable energy sources, and technologies and legislation support the switch.

To this end, we will be involved in the development of coherent, long-term public policies on renewable energy, energy efficiency and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, with the scope to decarbonise the energy sector. We will monitor the elaboration and implementation of strategic documents in the energy field and offer the authorities recommendations and suggestions for a better transposition of the European regulations.

News

Analysis: NRRP investments for energy, misdirected to environmentally harmful projects

Energy efficiency of buildings: changes at European level and how Romania is adapting

The measures and actions required for the energy efficiency of the residential sector are included in the National Long-Term Renovation Strategy, a strategic document mandatory for all Member States in the EPBD Directive. The data on which the Strategy is based on highlight the fact that there is a need to amplify  energy efficiency actions, considering that out of the total building stock, the residential sector has a share of 81% of the final energy consumption, the remaining 19% being consumed in non-residential buildings.